WHAT IS BIOPHILIC DESIGN ?
Biophilic design is a concept used within the building industry to increase occupant connectivity to the natural environment through the use of direct nature, indirect nature, and space and place conditions.
WHAT ARE THE ELEMENTS OF BIOPHILIC DESIGN ?
Biophilic design elements refer to anything that evokes the sense of the beauty of the natural world such as water features, fish tanks or plants.
Biophilic design elements are not constant. Rather anything that replicates or mimics the sense of nature in design falls under this category. E.g. – honeycomb pattern, golden ratio in flowers and particles like grass on the field, wooden texture etc. So the study and application of boiphilic design is vast in itself. It’s not so much about the what, it’s more about the inclusion of biophilic elements make people feel.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BIOPHILIC DESIGN ?
1. Improves air quality – Plants absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen through photosynthesis, they increase humidity by transpiring water vapor through microscopic leaf pores, and they can passively absorb pollutants on the external surfaces of leaves and on the plant root-soil system.
2. Boost creativity and productivity – Plant helps to refresh our mind which enables us to think fresh, concentrate and focus on our task.
3. Improves mental well-being – Affects our mood by providing healthy and positive environment and reducing stress. Natural aesthetic beauty is soothing to people so flowers and ornamental plants increase levels of positive energy and help people feel secure and relaxed.
4. Harmony in design – plants help to blend the environment with the hard surface like the concrete or the man-made objects which creates harmonious and pleasing effect. Plants also help to create unique and elegant environment.
10 INDOOR- HOUSE PLANTS THAT ARE EASY TO TAKE CARE OF AND THEIR FUNCTIONS
1. Snake Plants – Scrub the air of airborne toxins that impact your sleep, mood and energy
2. Jade Plant – Cleanse the air of indoor pollutants from paint and cleaning products
3. English IVY – Divests homes of up to 94% of its mold in as little as 12 hours
4. Fern – Good Humidifier
5. Bamboo Palm – Natural Humidifier
6. Aloe Vera – Great for healing surface wounds and skin ailments
7. Basil – positively impact your blood pressure, mood and stress levels
8. Chinese Evergreen – Filters toxins from the air and emits oxygen
9. Flamingo Lilly – Purifies surrounds of airborne toxins like Formaldehyde, Ammonia, Toluene, and Xylene
10. Lavender – Relieving stress and anxiety
Both physically and mentally biophilic design strongly influences us in a positive ways. So, why not use biophilic elements to shape the world a better place.
Blog Written by – Ar. Dipjyoti Mech